St. Benedict Church was established in 1906 when Bishop Thomas Conaty invited the Benedictine Monks from Oklahoma to establish a parish here in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. A small church was constructed and the first Mass was celebrated on September 30, 1906. (The original monastery and parish on Beverly Boulevard was on the site of what is now the location for the Montebello City Hall.)
The present five-acre location was purchased in 1925 and construction began on a small church on the corner of Madison and 10th Street and later portions of the parish school and a convent for the Presentation Sisters.
The parish grew and a new church was constructed on Cleveland Avenue and was dedicated on January 11, 1959. The rectory for the priests was built in 1962 and the parish hall was constructed in 1973.
The Benedictine Monks returned to Oklahoma in 1998 and the Order of Augustinian Recollects (O.A.R.) were invited by the Archdiocese to assume administration of the parish on July 1, 1998.
We welcome you all to join us and keep our parish and faith going strong for years to come!